Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Resume Redo

I just have to laugh!  In the previous post I mentioned how the Word document of my resume got a B- and the translated Google Doc with the same information got an F. Today, I could not recreate the F to get the snipped shot of the scores. Little did I realize that with Google Docs, a document cannot be corrected and then Saved As another document. No WAY!  When I made my corrections on Google Docs, they were saved and the old version **phfss* vanished. Who knew?!  Not me apparently.

So I went with the B- scores and made corrections as suggested:


I needed to use impact-ful language and vivid wording to wow employers> I I needed to refrain from using first person language (no I, me, my). This surprised me since I had not used first person words, and had purposely used dynamic action words when describing my activities. However, I made corrections and beefed up the wording..making a strong statement of action and activity. I deleted two experiences that did not impact the overall view and checked that no first person words existed. This is what the resume got the next time through the scoring program:


Go figure?  This time however, there were Brevity, Impact, and Depth boxes that imply I had the depth now, but was too wordy. I reworded, edited, cut, and make some improvements to be more concise but still maintain the depth. This is what I got next:


The Brevity score decreased, but the Depth stayed strong. I still get the first person comment, although there are no I, me, or my-s in the writing. Certainly this is an issue to be revisited at another time when I can spend time taking it apart and doing a more extensive comparison.

For now I can see how online tools might be helpful or not depending on how they are used. When I demonstrate online writing tools such as thesis editing programs, it will be important to stress that online programs run with algorithms that do not make the human judgements that personal attention can produce. They still have value as a guideline to prompt review and reconsideration, but they are still machines made useful by the minds that build them. As a technology instructor, teaching discernment and critical thinking when working with electronic sources is a vital part of imparting 21st century skills.