Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Handwriting vs. Typing

A vital question: In the next generation, will the handwritten note look like marks on a page? This began this week's Diigo investigations. Many of my students, gifted academically and in many cases artistically, have handwriting I cannot read. There is a reluctance to change on their part and I am supposed to 'let me be me'.  Surely this cannot be right. Lately I have recognized that my own son (23 years old) prints all his correspondence, what little there is. Where did the cursive go? Where are the distinctive signatures of our forefathers?

The additions to my Diigo list, Brainy Stuff, indicate research exists explaining how different parts of the brain is engaged when writing and when typing. I still need to locate research that connects handwriting with giftedness, but the initial information is striking. This site shows a comic view of handwriting over time, and when a keyboard was introduced.

Cursive. Can technology reintroduce the skill?  Or will it be reduce to a quirky cool thing to do?



No comments:

Post a Comment