Wednesday, October 3, 2012

PhotoStory -- From Seed to Sell

PhotoStory is one of the programs we actually DO have in my school district...not that I ever did anything with it. However, this assignment introduced me to the possibilities of its use when communicating information to others. Whether in the classroom or on the lecture circuit when the Virginia Lovers' Gourd Society visits schools and garden clubs, it can be a companionable way to share information in one area while teaching or demonstrating in another.

I chose to produce a story about gourds [hold back your surprise!!], in fact it is a mini-introduction to novice gourdheads about moving through the year: planting the seed to selling the finished piece of art. By preparing the PowerPoint first, and following the rules of contrast, lean text, and some humor, I believe the slides presented an interesting series of visuals. While using PhotoStory, I could adjust the time allotment for each slide to mirror the PechaKucha 20x20 format...20 seconds for each of the 20 slides. By specifying transitions, I could also control slide emphasis as they moved forward in the presentation and faded into each other. Narration, thankfully!, could be redone repeatedly until the gasps and breathy tones left over from my cold could be controlled.

A quick download of YouTube gave me a place to put the final story, From Seed to Sell. This short video could only be made better with background gourd music by the Richmond Indigenous Gourd Orchestra...something not available to me at this time.

I discovered the value of YouTube and uploaded videos while doing this assignment and seeking help for the particulars of how to do parts of it--you know, for those details that make or break a project. Searching the YouTube tutorials gave me all the answers I needed to download, process, and upload. If there is a process, someone has made a YouTube tutorial and during late night hours when I'm getting crazy that is helpful indeed! It has been a clear demonstration about how a series of tutorials would be helpful in my classes where everyone is working on a different project. As I help one student personally with hands-on information, others who need more routine knowledge can access what they need independently...an illustration of ISTE NETS-T #3: communicating relevant information and ideas using digital media and formats. OR #2: designing relevant learning experiences...OR #1 of inspiring students learning using real world exploration.



Second thoughts: Here are the YouTubes I used to get the job done: this one in the Leave It to Beaver style and this one which was less glamorous but more specific.

No comments:

Post a Comment