Monday, October 15, 2012

Self-Grading Quiz

The idea behind a self-grading quiz is to produce a quiz using Google Forms [much like a survey from the previous assignment] and produce a key and insert formulas in the corresponding spreadsheet where the responses accumulate to grade the responses. This is a very efficient way to grade lower level thinking (think Bloom's Taxonomy) where the answers are straightforward basic facts. Questions using critical thinking skills can be made with multiple choice or checklist response choices, but those seem to end up reading like trick questions -- the gotcha questions no one wants to encounter on a quiz because they seem mean-spirited. The quiz can be sent to students as a link so they can go to it and see and enjoy the theme, or it can be emailed as part of the message. In either case, with the advent of iPhones, apps, and The Cloud, quizzes can be available in more places than in a classroom.

Print Resources
My quizzes for the Gifted Academic Program kiddos are usually higher order thinking in nature and somewhat philosophical. They are not graded for black/white responses, so this assignment was a challenge. My Print Resources quiz is usually interpreted with pictures and limited text but it was the quiz most closely aligned with basic facts so it is the one I chose to translate for this assignment. The translated quiz was sent it to several people and myself at home. When I check my email, I found a message with the quiz as the message and a link that I clicked on to go to the live form that was complete with the book theme I had chosen.


Every gourd has a knot, but are still different.
Even then, I found the answers had to match the key responses letter for letter or the answer was counted as wrong, skewing the final grade. I used answers from a quiz I gave the class yesterday as a test. Word for word, many answers were wrong because of the variation in verbiage: collection instead of a collection, contents and index instead of table of contents and index, etc. It's like tying knots in long-handled gourds....the knots clearly exist, but they will still be individualized. I ended up going through and evaluating answers and making some changes before doing the formula to sum/average the responses seen on the spreadsheet. Clearly Tonya answered my quiz...most answers are right but because they don't match my key exactly her final score does not reflect what she knows. [Thank you Tonya, I appreciate your willingness to help!]

Because of past frustrations I have learned to rely on tutorials that I can watch over and over. This time I went to YouTube to get help along with the self-grading one Dr. Pierce listed on the assignment document. It was also helpful to read the written instructions on eHow and may work for those who are visual learners but need written words to follow.





No comments:

Post a Comment